Summer Research Scholarship Program
The Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research is offering six-week scholarships for postgraduate tertiary students. The scholarship is based in Canberra and is designed to support talented students to produce an Issues Brief on an important national health services or health policy topic. The purpose of the Summer Research Scholarship program is to provide post-graduate students with an opportunity to work in a knowledge exchange organisation so that they gain a better understanding of how to make academic research relevant to policymakers and practitioners. The program also provides an opportunity for scholars to experience what it is like to work in a peak national health body and to establish connections with policymakers and practitioners working in their field of research.
Recent briefs developed by Summer Scholar applicants are available:
- Deeble Institute Issues Brief No 14: An evidence-based approach to reducing discharge against medical advice amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients
- Deeble Institute Issues Brief No 16: The National Emergency Access Target: aiming for the target but what about the goal?
- Deeble Institute Issues Brief No 17: Food and nutrition programs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians: what works to keep people health and strong?
Successful applicants will receive:
- an honorarium of $1,800 payable as a one-off amount at the conclusion of the six-week placement, subject to completion of expected outcomes
- the opportunity to gain training and work experience in a health policy knowledge translation organisation
- the opportunity to participate in the broader work of the AHHA and Deeble Institute, which may include meetings with senior policymakers, health services providers and academics, visits to government departments, and Policy Think Tanks
- support from a mentor who will provide advice during the research project
- a fully-equipped work-station within the AHHA office in Canberra
Who can apply?
The Summer Scholarship program is open to tertiary students who have successfully completed at least one year of study for a postgraduate degree at a university that is preferably a member of the Deeble Institute.
Applications for the 2017 Summer Research Scholarship Program are now open. Please see the attachment below for more information and details on how you can apply.
PO Box 78 Deakin West ACT 2600
Location: Unit 8, 2 Phipps Close Deakin ACT 2600
HESTA is proud to sponsor the Summer Research Scholarship Program