We believe that the best health policies are made when policymakers, practitioners and researchers work together. Our main aim is to build and strengthen the connections between these people and organisations.
What we do
- Publish Health Policy Evidence Briefs and Health Policy Issue Briefs, which are short, easy to read, objective publications for policymakers that synthesise and interpret the evidence in an area of health policy
- undertake rigorous, independent research on important national health policy problems with our academic partners and health service members
- Host conferences, seminars, policy think-tanks and workshops
- Help policymakers, researchers and practitioners get in contact with each other when they need expert advice.
Who we are
The Deeble Institute conducts high-quality, independent academic research on a wide range of health policy topics. By working with academic and health service partners, we ensure our research is both rigorous and relevant.
The Institute is an initiative of the Australian Healthcare and Hospitals Association (AHHA), the independent, national membership body and advocate for the Australian public and not-for-profit healthcare systems. Some of the Institute’s published research work is used by the AHHA to inform its policy and advocacy program.
The Institute was established in November 2011. It is funded through membership fees and commissioned research. For more details on membership benefits see here.
Dr John Deeble AO is an Emeritus Fellow of the Australian National University, a Sax Medallist and life member of the AHHA, and Patron of the Institute. With Dr Dick Scotton, he co-authored the original proposals for universal health insurance in 1968 when they worked together at the Melbourne University Institute of Applied Economic Research. He was Special Adviser to the Ministers for health in the Whitlam and Hawke governments, Chairman of the Planning Committees for both Medibank and Medicare and a Commissioner of the Health Insurance Commission for 16 years. Other appointments have included First Assistant Secretary in the Commonwealth Department of Health, Founding Director of the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, and from 1989 to 2005, Senior Fellow in Epidemiology and Adjunct Professor in Economics at the National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health at the ANU. Dr Deeble has been a World Bank Consultant on health care financing in Hungary, Turkey and Indonesia, and for over 10 years to 2005, an adviser to the government of South Africa.
We’d be delighted if you became involved in our work. You can do this by:
- becoming an Institutional/Academic member
- participating in our events
- suggesting a topic or expert author for a Health Policy Evidence Brief
- using our products and services, or
- making suggestions and providing us with feedback
Deeble Institute for Health Policy Research
Post: PO Box 78 Deakin West ACT 2600
Location: Unit 8, 2 Phipps Close Deakin ACT 2600